Monday, May 23, 2011

Spring has arrived to my little Urban Homestead

I think I can finally say spring has arrived to my little urban homestead. There is still a little snow up on Shaeffer Butte, but we have finally left the 30's behind and now have days in the 70's. Yeah!! Considering the first day of summer is only about a month away, it is probably a really good time to move the season's along.


All this means I finally got to plant my garden! I now have my tomatoes, bell peppers, cucumbers, squashes, corn, pole beans, sweet peas, radishes, carrots, beets, spinach, Swiss chard, and onions planted. My peach, apricot, and plum trees are loaded with fruit. The strawberries are also loaded with blossoms. The grapes are coming along really nice as well with lots of little fruit clusters. I just have a few more things to plant like the pumpkins and herbs but I got chased in by a thunderstorm and rain, so I'll try to get them planted in the morning.

It is a great feeling of accomplishment to have the seeds and plants in the ground, the trellises in place, and feel the warmth of the sun on my skin as I work in the garden. It is hard to explain to others how playing in the dirt can be so rewarding. There is just something about burying that little tiny seed in the dirt and then watch it sprout and grow and finally end up on my dinner plate.

Ah, yes, life is good on my little urban homestead. So, how's life treating you?

No comments:

Post a Comment